Sunday, June 08, 2008

Exiting

I watched Hillary Clinton's exit speech on CNN yesterday. The words "grace," "dignity," and "strength" are just a few generic terms that came to mind when I heard her speak. Imagine how much she put into her campaign: a brave face in the wake of total public humiliation, stoicism in order to be taken seriously, time, money, patience, grit. Now imagine how it must feel to have all of it be totally over, due to factors that weren't her fault (bad campaign manager, general public sentiment, sexism...you pick).

It's a stretch to compare all of that to my breakup, but I was incredibly inspired by this portion of her speech:

"So I want to say to my supporters, when you hear people saying – or think to yourself – "if only" or "what if," I say, "please don't go there." Every moment wasted looking back keeps us from moving forward. Life is too short, time is too precious, and the stakes are too high to dwell on what might have been. We have to work together for what still can be."

I loved this. "The stakes are too high to dwell on what might have been" is my new mantra for getting over being so completely burned and hurt by someone selfish and deceitful, and moving on to feeling secure with myself: an honest, loving person who only wanted good things for everyone involved.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dregina said...

Break-ups put us in such a weird state of grace, where meaning shows up in unlikely places. A little moment of relief can get me through days and days of struggle.

6:04 PM  
Blogger AtriaBooks said...

I don't understand...did you lose a primary?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Yeah, didn't you hear, Blogstein? I was totally going to be president.

And, again, thank you, Dana.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home