Sunday, February 04, 2007

Idiocracy in Action

Recently I've become fascinated with the concept of Idiocracy, the newest movie from Mike Judge. It hasn't made it to my home via Netflix yet, but when it does, I'm quite sure it will be the best movie I've seen in recent memory. I've heard that in it, the American populace is so stupid that the top-rated show is called "Ow! My Balls!" And like any male in the 18-to-34 age category, the Boyf thinks this is hilarious. And I actually do, too.

"I guess today's 'America's Funniest Home Videos' is 'Ow! My Balls!'," I told the Boyf yesterday. "Or at least 'America's Funniest Kids' or 'America's Funniest Pets.'"

"There are separate shows for that?" he said.

"Yeah," I said.

"No, I think the original 'America's Funniest Home Videos' is 'Ow! My Balls!'" he said.

"No," I said, deep in thought. "There are some seriously funny, quality people-falling videos on there that give it merit."

And that, for the time being, was that discussion.

Then this morning, I decided to flip on the latest installment of my favorite guilty-pleasure show: "The Hills."

The Boyf does not like "The Hills." (He also does not like "Laguna Beach," "The Real World," "The Suze Orman Show," "Flavor of Love," "The Surreal Life," or "That's So Raven.") To his credit, sometimes, to appease me, he'll watch the first 10 minutes of one of his most-hated shows if I have one of them on.

This morning, he was (barely) tolerating "The Hills" when one of the characters (Heidi, I think?) was shopping in a boutique and said something like, "Oh my god, my manicure, like, looked good before this, but now it's all messed up."

"AUUUGGGHHHHH!" he said, letting all the tension of the past nine minutes go.

Then he looked at me dead on: "'Ow! My Balls!,' Newbie. 'Ow! My Balls!'"

I turned the television off.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home