Monday, November 12, 2007

Point Taken

I'm a little ashamed to admit I've watched several episodes of MTV's "A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila." If you're not familiar, the show's basic premise is this: Tila Tequila is a bisexual internet celebrity, and this is a dating show in which both attractive men and attractive women vie for her affection. In order to win "dates" with Tila, contestants on the show must complete tasks, including, for example, washing a dirty SUV with their asses while wearing tight, spongy bikini bottoms. In between competitions, the guys and gals drink heavily and start verbal and physical fights with each other.

It is by far the trashiest show on television right now.

All caught up? Good.

I had to give props to the producers, though, for leaving a sole butch-looking lesbian, Dani, on the show long enough to be in the final five. The rest of the women look like Victoria's Secret models.

But, on a recent episode I watched, I took all my kudos back. When Dani sweetly kissed Tila, the Indigo Girls song "Galileo" played in the background. Honestly, was it REALLY necessary to play an identifiably lesbian song while two lesbians (one of them butch) kiss? I don't think I needed that point hammered home for me. Just play something normal. Alicia Keys. Fiona Apple. Prince. Whatever.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home