Sunday, May 13, 2007

She Got Game

Being successfully single isn't something one can just swoop right back into after years of being part of a couple. Or so I learned this past weekend.

I traveled to Maryland this past weekend to visit my friend J (and say hi to Neil) and attend one of J's legendary parties. She's quite the socialite, and a diverse crowd always turns up at her soirees. The evening began, and I started talking to two cute cops. They were men of few words -- tough guys' guys who were kind and shy and sweet. I loved that because the men I tend to meet in New York are creative types who talk a lot about concepts and ideas. The thought of conversing with men whose job it is to hustle and protect and do was incredibly hot. So I tried to flirt. And failed. Miserably. Instead of coming up with witticisms or cute questions to ask them, I clutched my cup of Yuengling and shifted from foot to foot in my bright, crazy-print new dress (which I realized too late is a little more Paris Hilton-esque than I had intended), trying to think of something to say.

Then it hit me: I have no game.

I think I lost a bit of moxie somewhere in that stretch of time in a relationship when impressions and appearances don't matter as much, so you say what you want and do what you want and generally backslide into being a regular gal, minus your usual dose of sparkly wit or biting humor. I'm gonna have to get that back at some point, but it'll happen. Incrementally, but I'll get there.

Also, I want to update my Typing Pool Breakup Song List, which -- thanks to all the incredibly smart, sympathetic, and music-savvy people who read this blog -- has become what I like to call "awesome."

Here's the new rundown:

1. "Here I Go Again," Whitesnake (a surprisingly good breakup song)
2. "Greenville" Lucinda Williams
3. "On My Own," Peach Union
4. "Smile," Lily Allen
5. "Song for the Dumped," Ben Folds Five
6. "Ex-Girlfriend," No Doubt
7. "More Adventurous," Rilo Kiley (courtesy S in Minnesota)
8. "Don't Stop Believin'," Journey (or any Journey, if you get right down to it) (courtesy Dr. Blogstein)
9. "Wang Dang Doodle," Koko Taylor (courtesy Phil)
10. "Alone Again, Naturally," Gilbert O'Sullivan (courtesy Dave)
11. "Message in a Bottle," The Police (courtesy Neil)
12. "Erased," Annie Lennox (courtesy Madame X)
13. "Kiss You Off," Scissor Sisters (courtesy Anndi)
14. "I'm Coming Out," Diana Ross (courtesy Tisha)

Consider my iPod filled.

To cap this list off, I was listening to Tori Amos's (quite decent) new album, American Doll Posse, today, and these lines from the song "Bouncing Off Clouds" seemed appropriate:

"Make it easy, make this easy, it's not as heavy as it seems...
Well, you can stare all day at the sky,
But that won't bring her (him) back,
That won't bring her (him) back
You say you're waiting on Fate,
But I think Fate is now
Waiting on us."

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Wild Phil said...

Hi Jane,

Allow an old friend to give you a little something to think about, I granted I am not up with the times but it seems to work with many.

Don't use a game, don't have a plan, just go in and mingle with others and just be your self. You said that you met two police men and that you liked them, don't start off heavy, don't get all excited or if you do, don't let it show, get to know them by asking them what their day is like?

Just easy question / answer type of how do you do type of lines nothing flattering nothing too outlandish just soft and easy.

Remember when you are at one of these mingles or what ever they are called these days that it's best just to be yourself.

That is something that I had learned from listening to some old wise people, my grand parents taught me that it's best just to be your self, you will find that more people really like the real Jane like I like Jane.

2:51 AM  
Blogger AtriaBooks said...

Phil is a Minnesota Don Juan

9:50 AM  
Blogger Wild Phil said...

Hi Jane,

Of course when ones friends compliment them like that, that is always nice, thanks Doc but I am not trying to be no Don Juan. LOL

Also keep in mind that just because of one or two let downs don't get flustered because there is a simple rule, you can't please everyone so if you please your self and you mingle with others you will do just fine.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Good advice, Phil.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home