Monday, June 18, 2007

Awww, Dad

I'm pretty much the worst daughter ever, as I neglected to call my dad on Father's Day. I MAY have gone to the Jersey Shore that day with a certain Brazilian bartender, and I MAY have been way too drunk at the end of the day to remember to call my dad. But that is neither here nor there. I did call him on Monday, so I still get brownie points, but not as many as I should have racked up.

The great thing about my dad, though, is his view of relationships. He's a wonderful man -- into gardening, into drinking Miller High Life, into working for the church, into playing cards until the wee hours of the morning -- and I think that he thinks that every boy I date is as well-meaning as him. As. If.

When I was in the Midwest this past week, my dad was making copies of our written family history for me to take back on the plane. As he Xeroxed, I pawed through my closet, looking for my old softball glove and twirling an old baton I used to love, and I talked to him about men.

"[The Boyf] was good-looking," I said absentmindedly, stacking and unstacking some old books in my closet, looking for an old family photograph I had stashed there years ago. "I don't know -- I don't know if I'll ever find someone as handsome. But at least I'm prepared for that."

My dad paused, still making copies.

"You never know," he said with his back to me. "You might break the heel of your shoe on the sidewalk, and someone will be right there. Or maybe you'll be at the grocery store, and you'll meet someone."

I loved this. I loved every word of what he was saying. It was so charming -- the chick-flick version of the New York life he thinks I lead. The "meet cute."

Little does my dad know, though, what actually goes on. No parent should, really. But wouldn't it be funny if he did? Wouldn't his words of advice or reassurance be different? For me, it would go something like this:

"You never know. That bartender you've been scamming on could turn out to be un-sketchy and maybe take you out on a real date. Or that guy from the online personals might not be as bald as he looks in his photo, and then maybe you'll go from awkward beers at a neutral location to a less awkward dinner to wedded bliss. Or? That creepy IT guy from work could turn out to be a real charmer -- once you get past the whole creepy IT guy thing, anyway."

Reality is much less charming.


Listen to Dr. Blogstein and I rock it old-school TONIGHT at 9 p.m. EST on Blog Talk Radio. We promise witty banter...but don't hold us to much else. Though we DO have freaking Dick Van Patten, from "Eight is Enough" and a heck of a lot of other stuff (including "Wonder Woman"! Awesome!) on tonight. I think that means you should set your cell phone timer/Outlook calendar alarm for 9 p.m. and prepare to be entertained.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Wild Phil said...

Hi Jane,

I read your original post and I really think that you will find Mr. Right soon enough, you need more self confidence is all and that is what me your friend is for by letting you know how absolutely adorable you are and not to worry because I know that you can do it. You see I am a big fan of Jane and I really like you a lot.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Thank you, as always, Phil.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Hey Jane.... LOL the creepy IT guy...wasn't that a "Real men of Genius" ad for Bud Lite?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Wow, good memory, Bond. A quick cruise of Wikipedia reveals that there was a Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" ad featuring "Mr. Company Computer Guy" back in 2005. Wow, they did a LOT of these ads. Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Men_of_Genius. Of course, this just reinforces what I've maintained for years: Bud Light rules.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home