Sunday, June 24, 2007

Barstool Philosophizin'

I like talking to old-timers in bars. Some of the most authentic conversations I've ever had in my life are from older men trying to drop some knowledge in the hopes that I'll stay and listen for a while. Loneliness talks.

I was at my neighborhood pub on Saturday, talking to a 60-something Danny DeVito type wearing a red pocket tee and khaki shorts. He's an old-school photographer -- hates the internet and what it's done to good work. Everything is so available, not as special as it used to be, he said. I could hear in his voice that he missed darkrooms.

He asked me what I do, and I told him. And then he asked me what I really wanted to do (because, we creative types, we all have a dream side project). I told him I wanted to write a book (um, join the club, I know), and he asked me why I hadn't started.

"I'm just...I'm afraid it will suck," I said, in my not-so-refined twentysomething parlance. "And then, well, I'll have no dream left."

He took a sip from his highball of Glenlivet 12 and stared straight ahead.

"Even if it 'sucks,'" he said, "it creates a bottom. You'll improve from there."

Wise words from a feller on a barstool.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Wild Phil said...

Ouch!!!!!!! That hurts Jane, now me your friend is considered an Old Timer?????? I still got me a bit of swing left in me and I fall into that 60 something category.

Granted not much of a swing left in me but some. LOL

Let me give you some words of wisdom about that old timer, he wanted to pass along some wisdom to you not for the sake of just that you would chit chat with him for awhile, granted that was a small part of it but the major idea is that he might be able to save some one younger the bumps and scraps of falling down.

I find myself helping the younger generation that way myself, we just try to help others from making the same painful mistakes that we went through. It's just that it makes us feel good to help others.

3:58 AM  
Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

What an interesting perspective... write it Jane...write

1:47 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

You guys are awesome. Hope you both call in tonight!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home