Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Can Die Now

I went out with my fantastic old friend D tonight. He's of the same mindset as me: Give us an Irish pub and some karaoke, and we're set for the night.

Of course I did an old standby ("Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles), and after a duet with D, I debuted Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U." Note to ladies who are thinking of singing that in the near future: It is not as hard as you think to bust out. Trust me: You already know the words after hearing it on the radio 5,000 times in the early '90s. (See my other karaoke posts here, here, and here.)

What I consider the prize comment came early in the night, from a woman who was sitting at the bar while I was singing Alannah. "That's not fair; she's a professional," the woman said. Oh, if only. If only. I think that was the best thing I've ever heard in my karaoke career. Those of us who adore the karaoke also adore the compliments, and I was beyond flattered.

D and I shared laughs and deep thoughts and all the things you're supposed to share after a few beers (only one of which I spilled squarely on my pants, thankyouverymuch). I walked home looking at the reflections in the office building windows on Madison Avenue, walking on the concrete of Manhattan's empty streets, and breathing in deeply, the chorus of U2's "City of Blinding Lights" in my head.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger you'dneverguess said...

That is a great compliment. I love karaoke and don't do it nearly enough.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Wild Phil said...

Jane, You expect me to sing a song I have long forgotten on Doc's radio program with the karaoke queen herself, you have to be kidding me. :) Now what would be funny for a video to watch would be a big huge husky fella doing a lip-sink to the song You Can Ring My Bell by Anita Ward LOL :)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Oh, Phil, would you sing "Ring My Bell" on the show next week. Please? For me?

11:30 PM  
Blogger Wild Phil said...

Hi newbietonyc,

Oh newbietonyc, only if you do me a favor, if you sing along with Doc in the song "My Ding A Ling" and when the part goes where Doc Says To Jane, Want You To Play With My Ding A Ling, then you sing I Want To Play With Doc's and Phil's Ding A Ling, then I might sing the song that you asked for? ROFLMAO

3:05 AM  
Blogger Wild Phil said...

Here is a bit of Humor for Jane

10 Husbands and She is still a Virgin.

A lawyer married a woman who had previously divorced ten husbands.

On their wedding night, she told her new husband, “Please be gentle, I’m still a virgin.”

“What?” said the puzzled groom.

“How can that be if you’ve been married ten times?”

“Well, Husband #1 was a sales representative: he kept telling me how great it was going to be.

Husband #2 was in software services: he was never really sure how it was supposed to function, but he said he’d look into it and get back to me.

Husband #3 was from field services: he said everything checked out diagnostically but he just couldn’t get the system up.

Husband #4 was in telemarketing: even though he knew he had the order, he didn’t know when he would be able to deliver.

Husband #5 was an engineer: he understood the basic process but wanted three years to research, implement, and design a new state-of-the-art method.

Husband #6 was from finance and administration: he thought he knew how, but he wasn’t sure whether it was his job or not.

Husband #7 was in marketing: although he had a nice product, he was never sure how to position it.

Husband #8 was a psychologist: all he ever did was talk about it.

Husband #9 was a gynecologist: all he did was look at it.

Husband #10 was a stamp collector: all he ever did was… God! I miss him! But now that I’ve married you, I’m really excited!”

“Good,” said the new husband, “but, why?”

“You’re a lawyer. This time I know I’m gonna get screwed!”

4:56 AM  
Blogger Wild Phil said...

Now Jane, you really must re think your suggestion, because there has to be something in it for me.

What would you do for me if I was to sing the song that you requested?

If you were back here in the midwest I could think of something that you could do for me. LOL Smoochie Smoochie.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Wild Phil said...

Hey There Little Red Riding Hood You Sure Are Looking Good Your Everything This Big Bad Wolf Would Want.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home